Activities and Clients
I do three things that could be called “work”:
- direct consulting for retail and publishing clients
working at Board level on strategy and leadership development, with occasional interim, executive roles to support step-change and growth
- developing sector skills and innovation
via training programmes, network and peering activities and qualifications.
as founder and now Editor in Chief of InternetRetailing (magazine, portal and conference) I run an influential trade title that’s been profitable since its first issue.
I build and sustain long-term, senior relationships with clients in retail, publishing and communication businesses.
Current Client engagements include
- Boots UK (2015-16)
- IKEA (2016)
- Selfridges (2014-5)
- Marks & Spencer (2012-4)
Other clients have included CoutureLab (2006-2010), Austin Reed (2007-2009), Reiss (2008), Otto UK – Grattan, Freeman, Oli (2006 – 2008), IPC Media (2007-2008), Euromoney (2008), Mothercare (2011), The British Council (since 2007-2009, establishing for them the Global Steering Board for the Online Transformation Programme), John Lewis (2011-2012), De Bijenkorf (2011-2), Camelot Group, The National Lottery (since 2012), House of Fraser and House of Fraser Wedding List (2007-2010 and 2012), Westfield Shopping Centres (UK). (2008-2011), e-consultancy (since 2006), Gant UK (2010-2011)
InternetRetailing is the must-read trade publication for the UK and Europe’s professionals in eCommerce and Multichannel Retail.
Online portal and newsletter (47,000 subscribers) – www.internetretailing.net
Bi-monthly print magazine (10,000 verified subscribers) – http://internetretailing.net/magazine/
In 2012 we launched our service dedicated to the 6 steps of selling online, focused upon the rapid growth and SME sectors, eSeller, while 2016 saw the launch of eDelivery.net (focused on “S.O.L.D” – Supply chain, Operations, Logistics, Distribution) and the acquisition of Tamebay.com.
Training and sector development
- I authored the UK’s first Masters in Internet Retailing, in conjunction with e-consultancy
- I co-founded the European eCommerce Forum
- Bazaarvoice, Advisory Board Member (2010 ~ 2014) – invited to contribute insights on developments in the Social Commerce space and development of the sector
- Business Link for London. Non-executive Director, member of the Audit Committee, then R&A committee (2003-2009). Europe’s largest business support organisation, with a budget of over £40m. Operations were transferred to Serco in 2007
- Engage, the National Association of Gallery Educators. Founding Treasurer, and served on the Board for 7 years of growth – from £30k grant to over £1m in turnover and 1,000 professional members.
- e-mint, the Association of Online Community Professionals. Initially a mailing list I helped formalise the group and served on the inaugural committee
- Past Board member of The Netimperative Ltd., EUBusiness Ltd. and eModeration Ltd.
See my LinkedIn Profile for fuller information
GROUP ECOMMERCE DIRECTOR, LITTLEWOODS, SHOPDIRECT (2004-2006)
Littlewoods and ShopDirectGroup combined were rated by Marketing as the UK’s largest privately-owned retailer with £3.3bn in sales. Here you can see details of the Littlewoods and ShopDirect online brands.
CEO, ICP EUROPE PUBLISHING PLC (2000-2004)
The online business publisher for the small business and enterprise
sectors. Brought the group to profit in 2003 and exited via trade sale in 2004. Group titles included:
HEAD OF ONLINE OPERATIONS, BBC (1998-2000 )
Delivering the BBC’s digital platform (online, digital and iTV). Wrote the first ISO9001 for Digital Publishing Management (BSI, 2000).
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, THOMSON SCIENCE & PROFESSIONAL (1995-1997 )
A $100m-turnover subsidiary of The Thomson Corporation. Remit covered M&A and online.
GENERAL DIRECTOR, THE PHOTOGRAPHERS’ GALLERY (1991 TO 1995)
A registered charity promoting photography as an artform and medium of communication. Artistic Director in 1994.
ERNST & YOUNG (1987 TO 1991)
- MA Oxon – English Literature and Language, Jesus College
- ACA – Chartered Accountant (ICAEW), with first-time passes in all papers
- CITP – Chartered IT Professional
- FBCS – Chartered Fellow of the British Computer Society