I do three things that could be called “work”:
- direct consulting for retail and publishing clients
working at Board level on strategy and leadership development, with occasional interim, executive roles to support step-change and growth
- developing sector skills and innovation
via training programmes, network and peering activities and qualifications.
as founder and now Editor in Chief of InternetRetailing (magazine, portal and conference) I run an influential trade title that’s been profitable since its first issue.
I build and sustain long-term, senior relationships with clients in retail, publishing and communication businesses.
Current Client engagements include
- VF (Timberland, North Face, Kipling, Napapijri, Eastpak etc) (2017-8)
- Fiorucci (2017~8)
- Boots UK (2015-16)
- IKEA (2016)
- Selfridges (2014-5)
- Marks & Spencer (2012-4, 2017)
Other clients have included CoutureLab (2006-2010), Austin Reed (2007-2009), Reiss (2008), Otto UK – Grattan, Freeman, Oli (2006 – 2008), IPC Media (2007-2008), Euromoney (2008), Mothercare (2011), The British Council (since 2007-2009, establishing for them the Global Steering Board for the Online Transformation Programme), John Lewis (2011-2012), De Bijenkorf (2011-2), Camelot Group, The National Lottery (since 2012), House of Fraser and House of Fraser Wedding List (2007-2010 and 2012), Westfield Shopping Centres (UK). (2008-2011), e-consultancy (since 2006), Gant UK (2010-2011)
Publishing and Research
InternetRetailing Media Limited
InternetRetailing is the must-read trade publication for the UK and Europe’s professionals in eCommerce and Multichannel Retail.
Online portal and newsletter (47,000 subscribers) – www.internetretailing.net
Bi-monthly print magazine (10,000 verified subscribers) – http://internetretailing.net/magazine/
In 2012 we launched eDelivery.net (focused on “S.O.L.D” – Supply chain, Operations, Logistics, Distribution) and the acquisition of Tamebay.com.
In 2015 we added Tamebay.com to our publishing family, and we’re extending the title to include European marketplaces and the activities of the Top500 retailers on marketplaces.
In 2015 we sold our events business to Clarion Events and they now operate the InternetRetailing Events portfolio – InternetRetailing Conference, InternetRetailing Expo, eDelivery Conference, eDelivery Expo, the InternetRetailing Summit and the InternetRetailing B2B Summit.
In 2016 we revealed RetailX, the research company behind the IRUK and IREU Top500 indices. RetailX is opening up direct access to our data, as well as an Analyst service for members.
Training and sector development
- I authored the UK’s first Masters in Internet Retailing, in conjunction with e-consultancy
- I co-founded the European eCommerce Forum
- Advisory Board of Apptus (2019)
- Bazaarvoice, Advisory Board Member (2010 ~ 2014) – invited to contribute insights on developments in the Social Commerce space and development of the sector
- Business Link for London. Non-executive Director, member of the Audit Committee, then R&A committee (2003-2009). Europe’s largest business support organisation, with a budget of over £40m. Operations were transferred to Serco in 2007
- Engage, the National Association of Gallery Educators. Founding Treasurer, and served on the Board for 7 years of growth – from £30k grant to over £1m in turnover and 1,000 professional members.
- e-mint, the Association of Online Community Professionals. Initially a mailing list I helped formalise the group and served on the inaugural committee
- Past Board member of The Netimperative Ltd., EUBusiness Ltd. and eModeration Ltd.
See my LinkedIn Profile for fuller information
GROUP ECOMMERCE DIRECTOR, LITTLEWOODS, SHOPDIRECT (2004-2006)
Littlewoods and ShopDirectGroup combined were rated by Marketing as the UK’s largest privately-owned retailer with £3.3bn in sales. Here you can see details of the Littlewoods and ShopDirect online brands.
CEO, ICP EUROPE PUBLISHING PLC (2000-2004)
The online business publisher for the small business and enterprise
sectors. Brought the group to profit in 2003 and exited via trade sale in 2004. Group titles included:
HEAD OF ONLINE OPERATIONS, BBC (1998-2000 )
Delivering the BBC’s digital platform (online, digital and iTV). Wrote the first ISO9001 for Digital Publishing Management (BSI, 2000).
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, THOMSON SCIENCE & PROFESSIONAL (1995-1997 )
A $100m-turnover subsidiary of The Thomson Corporation. Remit covered M&A and online.
GENERAL DIRECTOR, THE PHOTOGRAPHERS’ GALLERY (1991 TO 1995)
A registered charity promoting photography as an artform and medium of communication. Artistic Director in 1994.
ERNST & YOUNG (1987 TO 1991)
- MA Oxon – English Literature and Language, Jesus College
- ACA – Chartered Accountant (ICAEW), with first-time passes in all papers
- CITP – Chartered IT Professional
- FBCS – Chartered Fellow of the British Computer Society
1 thought on “Activities and Clients”
[…] London is one of my new clients and so it was a pleasure to get to visit and a guided wander with Sarah […]