This is a great idea. It’s become axiomatic that there’s a skills-shortage in ecommerce, but a less-well documented problem with the explosion in ecommerce is the lack of entry-level, junior skills.
Such has been the growth that experienced ecommerce people are now looking at senior management paygrades, but there’s not been the investment within companies to grow the skills of young, generalist people, or those from other disciplines, to become the ecommerce practicioners of next year.
This initiative answers two problems for businesses:
- accredited, dependable training – you’ll have confidence that the graduates have covered the bases
- there’s a critical mass for recruiting (much easier than a ‘spray and pray’ approach to attracting junior staff).
What will the graduates do?
“What’s included for free on our Graduate Academy:
- 3 day residential training placement in July at Reading University
- 15 days of distance and online training during August
- A further 2 days residential training at the end of August at Reading University
- Free access to www.e-consultancy.com for the period of training
- Guaranteed interviews with leading companies”
We’ll take a look at the progress of the Academy in more detail in InternetRetailing, but in the meantime this is a very welcome initiative and sure to be oversubscribed.